More Feet on the Ground – MHIF (Round 2)
More Feet on the Ground is a mental health education program proven to increase campus awareness of mental illness and mental health resources for postsecondary students. The campaign sought to address two gaps in mental health service provisions within postsecondary institutions: (1) the lack of training on mental health and addictions that responds directly to the specific needs of postsecondary students within the postsecondary environment; and (2) the lack of psycho-educational group information and skill development sessions that respond directly to the specific needs of postsecondary students. The campaign produced two primary components offered concurrently: (1) a compressed online training tool and (2) a psycho-educational & skill development workshop series. Additionally, the completed project included a Regional Mental Health Forum and opportunities for other Ontario postsecondary institutions to utilize the project components.
Project Partners included: Niagara College, the Niagara Regional Campus of McMaster University’s Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, Pathstone Mental Health and the Niagara Chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association.
- Online Training Tool: The online training tool provides comprehensive information about common mental health and addiction concerns, including signs/symptoms, treatment options, facts and statistics, and stories of lived experience. The tool is interactive in nature, containing several modules that can be completed with flexibility, including a brief online assessment of learning, references to local resources, and the issuance of a certificate of completion. The tool has been adapted and branded for all participating postsecondary institutions across Ontario, available at morefeetontheground.ca. As of May 31st, 2015, 716 individuals province-wide used the Online Training Tool.
- Psycho-Educational Group Information and Skills Development Sessions: Mental health psycho-educational workshops were developed and implemented at the Brock and Niagara College campuses. Sessions were delivered and covered topics such as: Mental Health 101, depression, anxiety, body image/eating disorders and psychosis. The best practices learned from these sessions have been shared with participating postsecondary institutions in the form of a toolkit, including resources for campus customization and implementation. In total, 55 workshops were hosted reaching 1,228 participants.
- Psychoeducational Workshop Series Toolkit: This toolkit contains all of the information, support and tools needed to implement the More Feet on the Ground campaign at your postsecondary institution. This toolkit is intended to assist postsecondary institutions across Ontario to implement their own More Feet on the Ground psycho-educational skill development workshop series on campus. The above link leads to the More Feet on the Ground Toolkit Dropbox which contains: booklet outlining More Feet on the Ground, use of the online training tool, psychoeducational workshop series guidelines and suggestions; customizable promotional posters; Powerpoint and Prezi presentations; guest speaker training materials; guest speaker video library; and informative handouts.
- Regional Mental Health Forum: The Regional Mental Health Forum consisted of a one-day event that brought together post-secondary institutions, mental health service providers, and community service agencies to examine mental health services for post-secondary students. This event attracted 63 individuals representing 18 community agencies and programs. Both components of the More Feet on the Ground Campaign as well as the Niagara Holistic Wellness Portal were demonstrated and reviewed by staff, faculty and student participants. Future steps and opportunities for collaboration were outlined through the Niagara Mental Health and Addictions Charter.
Reports & Resources
More Feet on the Ground Psycho-educational Skill Development Workshop Series and Instructional Toolkit (go to this drop-box link to get original pptx. files, pdfs below)
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Guest Speaker Training Resource
- Video Library
- Promotional Posters
Director, Student Health Services
- Niagara College
- The Niagara Regional Campus of McMaster University’s Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine
- Pathstone Mental Health
- The Niagara Chapter of the Canadian Mental Health Association.