This guide is a living document, and is up-to-date as of August 2019.
About The Stepped Care Guide
The Centre for Innovation in Campus Mental Health (CICMH) is a partnership project of Colleges Ontario, the Council of Ontario Universities, Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance, College Student Alliance and the Canadian Mental Health Association, Ontario Division.
Our mission is to help Ontario’s colleges and universities enhance their capacity to support student mental health and well-being. We do this by facilitating a campus mental health community of practice, co-ordinating access to expertise and fostering and supporting innovation. CICMH is funded by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
In the past several years, universities and colleges across Canada have been moving towards the Stepped Care Model to enhance service delivery and support student well-being. This resource is a guide for front-line staff and leadership on campus – including counsellors, administrators and other decision makers at post-secondary institutions – considering the development of their own Stepped Care Model.
The guide provides:
- An overview of mental health service delivery on campus and how Stepped Care can help with increasing demands for support.
- The various steps for implementation of Stepped Care 2.0 – an updated, more client-centric version of the original Stepped Care Model – in three Ontario post-secondary institutions.
- A review of challenges that stakeholders may experience during the implementation of Stepped Care 2.0 and tips for a smoother transition.
We want to thank and acknowledge Dr. Peter Cornish (Memorial University of Newfoundland), Gregory Taylor (Georgian College), Dr. Sandra Yuen (University of Toronto) and Doug Stringer (Algonquin College), who each contributed to the creation of this guide. We also thank Justin Dickie, Joe Kim and Karen Alexiou of CMHA Ontario for editing and designing this guide.
Stepped Care 2.0 Toolkit
- About The Stepped Care Guide
- Section 1: Context and Definition
- Section 2: Steps Explained
- Section 3: Case Studies
- Section 4: Implementation Experiences
- Section 5: Final Thoughts