What is Good2Talk?
Good2Talk is a 24/7 free, confidential support service for post-secondary students in Ontario.
By calling Good2Talk, students can receive information and referrals about services and supports for mental health, addictions and well-being on and off campus and speak anonymously with a professional counsellor. Students can also receive text-based support through Good2Talk’s partnership with Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone.
Good2Talk can support students through a wide range of issues that may be impacting their mental health and well-being, including: depression, anxiety, substance abuse, academic stress, personal or family relationships, loneliness, financial concerns and other challenges facing students transitioning to post-secondary.
Good2Talk during the Pandemic
We asked Jessie about data related to the COVID-19 pandemic and this is what we learned:
- Call volumes for April and May 2020 have increased compared to the same time last year. There was a spike of calls around the topic of anxiety when COVID-19 related changes started.
- With the recent changes where many students find themselves in environments (e.g. roommates, family members) where they may not feel comfortable speaking about their issues out loud, texting has been a good alternative.
- The top issues have largely remained the same during COVID-19 as pre-COVID
- Relationships (romantic and familial) and;
- Kids Help Phone has recently seen a spike in concerns around healthy eating habits.
Good2Talk is also looking at how they can adjust their programming to reflect our new reality and is also re-evaluating ways in which they can reach out to students in this new, largely virtual environment.
Get in touch with Good2Talk
Direct your students to call Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454 or text GOOD2TALKON to 686868.
If you are interested in helping with outreach or have any questions, reach out to Jessie at email@example.com