Motivational Interviewing in the Campus Context
In this webinar, we are joined by April Trewhitt of CMHA Toronto to talk to us about motivational interviewing, a person-centered counselling method that involves enhancing a patient’s motivation to change. We will review the basic principles of motivational interviewing and discuss why motivational interviewing is an ideal methodology to use with students. The session will be followed by a question and answer period.
April has provided the following list of additional resources on motivational interviewing.
- Agenda setting conversation with “Sal” 2 – YouTube
- Motivational Interviewing – Reflective Listening Demo from Paul Burke Training – YouTube
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) for Addictions Video – YouTube
- teachproject – YouTube
- video on sustain talk and motivational interviewing – Bing video
- Motivational interviewing (MI): Introduction and application course | CAMH
- Motivational Interviewing Certificate | Health Leadership & Learning Network (yorku.ca)
- Motivational Interviewing – Ontario Public Health Association (opha.on.ca)
- Motivational Interview Training Online – Crisis & Trauma Resource Institute (ctrinstitute.com)
- Search (pesi.com)
April Trewhitt is a Registered Psychotherapist. She is the program manager of Addiction Services at CMHA Toronto. She has worked in the community mental health and addictions field for over 20 years. April is one of the lead trainers of Motivational Interviewing (MI) at CMHA Toronto and believes that MI is a strengths-based modality that is trauma informed and can be especially helpful with younger people/students.